Jarl (plural jarls)
- (historical) A Scandinavian noble; Earl (poetic) a highborn, noble or warrior.
Hird (plural hirds)
- An informal retinue of personal armed companions, hirdmen or housecarls.
þing or Thing (genitive þings, plural þing)
- thing: a regional parliament of nearby clans, traditionally headed by an elected jarl.
Æsir (singular Áss, sometimes Aes)
- The principal group of benevolent deities in the Norse pantheon.
Ætt (genitive ættar, plural ættir)
- Family, clan, extraction, pedigree
fimbulvetur (genitive singular fimbulvetrar, nominative plural fimbulvetur)
- A harsh winter preceding the end of the world. During this time ties of blood will no longer be respected: the next-of-kin will lay together and brothers will kill brothers.
húskarl (plural húskarlar)
- (historical) A member of the Scandinavian royal household troops.